We’re halfway through December, which means music writers and publications everywhere are sharing their year-end content and celebrating the best releases and biggest surprises of the year. Along with that, Spotify has released their list of the most-streamed songs and albums in each genre for the year. At the top of the list for dance songs is The Chainsmokers and Coldplay‘s hit “Something Just Like This”, which is currently sitting at over 690 million streams.
It’s easy to see why “Something Just Like This” is so popular, as it’s the type of track sure to please fans of many genres: rock fans are drawn to Coldplay frontman Chris Martin’s vocals, EDM fans will appreciate the beat, and pop fans can’t deny the hook. The Chainsmokers’ crossover appeal is undeniable, and has earned them two other spots on the top 15, with “Paris” and “Closer.”
The Chainsmokers are the only artist to earn three spots in the top 15, but three others have two tracks on the list: Clean Bandit with “Rockabye” feat. Sean Paul and Anne-Marie and “Symphony” feat. Zara Larsson; The Weekend and Daft Punk with “I Feel It Coming” and “Starboy”; and Calvin Harris with “Slide” feat. Frank Ocean and Migos and “Feels” feat. Pharrell Williams, Katy Perry, and Big Sean. If you’ve been reading Substream for a while now, you may recognize a few of these songs: Kygo feat. Selena Gomez’s “It Ain’t Me”, Zedd feat. Alessia Cara’s “Stay”, and Calvin Harris feat. Frank Ocean and Migos’s “Slide” were featured on our list of 12 songs that will rule pop music this summer back in June.
What was your favorite dance song this year? Take a look at Spotify’s list of the top 15 most-streamed dance songs of 2017 below to see if your pick made the cut, and let us know in the comments below or over on Twitter what songs you think will rule dance music in 2018.
Spotify’s most-streamed dance songs of 2017:
- The Chainsmokers feat. Coldplay “Something Just Like This”
- Kygo feat. Selena Gomez – “It Ain’t Me”
- The Chainsmokers – “Paris”
- Zedd feat. Alessia Cara – “Stay”
- Clean Bandit feat. Sean Paul, Anne-Marie – “Rockabye”
- Martin Garrix feat. Dua Lipa – “Scared to be Lonely”
- The Chainsmokers – “Closer”
- Clean Bandit feat. Zara Larsson – “Symphony”
- The Weeknd feat. Daft Punk – “I Feel It Coming”
- The Weeknd feat. Daft Punk – “Starboy”
- Calvin Harris feat. Frank Ocean, Migos – “Slide”
- David Guetta feat. Justin Bieber – “2U”
- Calvin Harris feat. Pharrell Williams, Katy Perry, Big Sean – “Feels”
- DJ Snake feat. Justin Bieber – “Let Me Love You”
- Axwell & Ingrosso – “More Than You Know”