This past Friday, Public Enemy announced their return to Def Jam Records with the news that their new album, What You Gonna Do When the Grid Goes Down?, will be released on September 25th via the label. The news was heralded around the globe, with the group’s iconic logo projected onto cultural institutions like the Eiffel Tower and Moulin Rouge in Paris; Parliament, Marble Arch & Tate Modem Museum In London; and more.
Now, Public Enemy have unveiled the track-listing for the album, revealing a powerful and impressive list of guest features. The album will include appearances from: Nas, YG, Rapsody, DJ Premier, Black Thought, Questlove, Cypress Hill, Run-DMC, Ice-T, PMD, George Clinton, Daddy-O, Jahi, The Impossebulls, Mark Jenkins, S1Ws Pop Diesel and James Bomb, and Beastie Boys’ Mike D and Ad-Rock.
The album is led by the singles “Fight the Power: Remix 2020,” re-conceptualized by Public Enemy with Nas, Rapsody, Black Thought, YG, Jahi and Questlove for the 2020 BET Awards back in June, and was officially released as a single along with the album announcement last week. It also includes Public Enemy’s single, “State of the Union (STFU),” which was produced by DJ Premier.
What You Gonna Do When the Grid Goes Down? is currently available for pre-order here, alongside exclusive Public Enemy merchandise.
Check out the album artwork and track-listing below.
- “When The Grid Goes Down” ft. George Clinton
- “Grid” ft. Cypress Hill and George Clinton
- “State of the Union (STFU)” ft. DJ Premier
- “Merica Mirror” ft. Pop Diesel
- “Public Enemy Number Won” ft. Mike D, Ad-Rock, Run-DMC
- “Yesterday Man” ft. Daddy-O
- “Crossroads Burning” (Interlude) ft. James Bomb
- “Fight The Power: Remix 2020” ft. Nas, Rapsody, Black Thought, Jahi, YG, Questlove
- “Beat Them All”
- “Smash The Crowd” ft.. Ice-T, PMD
- “If You Can’t Join Em Beat Em”
- “Go At It” ft. Jahi
- “Don’t Look At The Sky” (Interlude) ft. Mark Jenkins
- “Rest In Beats” ft. The Impossebulls
- “R.I.P. Blackat”
- “Closing: I Am Black” ft. Ms. Ariel