Hopeless Records, and their nonprofit organization Sub City, have announced Songs That Saved My Life, a brand centered around music that has played a pivotal role in the lives of musicians and fans. The compilation will be released on November 9th via Hopeless Records, including covers from bands like Neck Deep, Taking Back Sunday, Against Me!, The Maine, Movements, Dance Gavin Dance, and more.
Songs That Saved My Life will feature current artists covering versions of those songs and share those stories with the world. This project will also benefit a variety of mental health and suicide prevention organizations, currently benefiting Hope For the Day, The Trevor Project, To Write Love On Her Arms, and Crisis Text Line.
Hopeless Records kicked off the news by also releasing the first song off the album: Neck Deep’s cover of “Torn,” originally made famous by Natalie Imbruglia. Speaking on why they chose this song, Neck Deep’s Ben Barlow said, “This song is a classic for a lot people; it’s actually one of my girlfriend’s favorite songs ever, so we’ve listened to it a lot. It clicked that we could cover it one day when we were on tour, eating somewhere and it came on the radio. We started singing along and quickly realized this would make an awesome cover, once we’d ND’d it.”
On the launch of Songs That Saved My Life, Hopeless Records label founder and President Louis Posen mentions, “Many of us became passionate about music, not just because it made us feel good in good times, but because of how it got us through tough times. Songs That Saved My Life is an ongoing project of our non-profit organization, Sub City, with a goal to recognize and use the power of music to break down the stigma associated with talking about mental health and to end the suffering of our loved ones.”
“We are very excited about this inaugural Songs That Saved My Life compilation. We are forever grateful to all of the bands on the compilation for being the first artists to be involved in the project, and for their courage to talk about how music helped them during difficult moments. If we can all talk about these moments together we will have taken the first and most difficult step in making things better.”
Songs That Saved My Life is now available to be pre-ordered via Hopeless Records here. When you pre-roder digitally through iTunes, you will receive an instant grat download of Neck Deep’s cover of “Torn.”
If you, or someone you care about are in crisis, please reach out for help. In the US, you can text HOME to 741741. Outside of the US, you can find many resources at www.hftd.org or www.songsthatsavedmylife.com.
- Neck Deep – Torn (originally made famous by Natalie Imbruglia)
- Movements – Losing My Religion (originally made famous by R.E.M.)
- Stand Atlantic – Your Graduation (originally made famous by Modern Baseball)
- Dance Gavin Dance – Semi Charmed Life (originally made famous by Third Eye Blind)
- Against Me! – People Who Died (originally made famous by The Jim Carroll Band)
- Taking Back Sunday – Bullet With Butterfly Wings (originally made famous by Smashing Pumpkins)
- Dream State – Crawling (originally made famous by Linkin Park)
- As It Is – Such Great Heights (originally made famous by The Postal Service)
- Oceans Ate Alaska – Shape of my Heart (originally made famous by Sting)
- Too Close To Touch – Let It Be (originally made famous by The Beatles)
- Dan Campbell & Ace Enders – Broom People (originally made famous by The Mountain Goats)
- The Maine – Transatlanticism (originally made famous by Death Cab For Cutie)