We are just over two months away from the big screen return of Power Rangers, and earlier today we were offered our very first glance at what kind of action we can expect from the television series turned multimedia franchise.
If you recall, the first Power Rangers trailer focused entirely on a group of outcast teenagers who found themselves gaining strange abilities, but offered no footage of the team in action. The new trailer downplays the narrative angle and showcases the digitally-created mayhem that will fill out the film’s latter half. In fact, from the looks of the footage below almost everything we see appears to be from the second and third acts of the film. See for yourself:
What more could this movie have to show us? Have we not already seen every surprise it holds in store?
Based on what we’ve seen in the two trailers, the plot of this film appears to be:
- Introduce outcast teens who want nothing to do with one another
- Bring teens together through bizarre occurrence
- Teens gain powers and become friends because of their shared secret
- Teens meet Zordon (Bryan Cranston)
- Rita Repulsa (Elizabeth Banks) appears
- Teens learn to fight
- Rita Repulsa attempts to takeover/destroy the planet
- Teens, now Power Rangers, battle Repulsa
- Giant gold monster appears (Goldar?)
- Power Rangers summon their Zords
- Power Rangers join together and form Megazord
- Megazord battles gold monster
All of these guesses are based on the five minutes of footage we have been given up to this point, and I have to say that if I am right then there really isn’t a lot of room for other (perhaps more exciting) things to happen.
Lionsgate is hoping this Power Rangers film will launch a new franchise (they’ve already planned several sequels), so this may end up being another example of a feature that feels more like a building block towards something bigger than a movie capable of standing on its own.
We won’t know anything for sure until Power Rangers arrives in theaters on March 24. Comment below and let us know your thoughts on the footage above.