For the 14th time in as many years, Gainesville, Florida will host the annual Fest. That was a given, but this time, the three-day event will assemble 400 or so bands (give or take, because, really, they are too difficult to count individually) at more than a dozen venues downtown. Organizers released the full schedule on Thursday, and it’ll surely require thoughtful planning (and graphing and charting and probably smartphone calendar reminders) for those seeking a tailored Fest experience.
- Headliners Desaparecidos and The Menzingers will play back-to-back on Friday.
- Off With Their Heads will play at 12:40 a.m. on Friday, one of the latest sets that night.
- Joey Cape will play an early set at Loosey’s on Saturday. Even earlier will be local singer-songwriter Jason Guy Smiley, who will probably have pineapples.
- Fat Wreck Chords will showcase several bands at Lot 10 on Saturday, including Lagwagon, Teenage Bottlerocket, Banner Pilot, and Smoke or Fire.
- mewithoutYou and all of their near-future tour mates (Pianos Become the Teeth, The Menzingers, and Restorations) will appear, though at different venues.
- Hardcore fans will be able to see bands like Modern Life is War, Loma Prieta, and Government Issue at The Wooly on Saturday.
- Cover set roundup: Beach Slang covering Jawbreaker, Turbo Fruits performing as “Misfruits,” Sunshine State playing acoustic Descendents and ALL songs, Teen Agers covering The Get Up Kids, The Bennies covering Operation Ivy, Modern Baseball covering The Killers, Mikey Erg and friends covering The Smiths, and Astpai covering Tegan and Sara.
- Blink-182 cover set roundup: We Are the Union will play Enema of the State at the Holiday Inn pool party on Friday. Rebuilder will play Dude Ranch at Durty Nelly’s on Saturday.
- Defiance, Ohio will play at 1:30 p.m. at Lot 10 on Sunday. Defiance, Ohio rarely tour these days. Don’t miss Defiance, Ohio.
- Andrew W.K. will perform the final set at Lot 10 on Sunday. In being the closing act for many attendees, he’ll probably discuss the importance of keeping the party going.
Fest organizers clearly took into account conflict potential, as major conflicts aren’t immediately apparent. The festival’s biggest headliners are fairly spaced apart, and individual venues group together similar artists. Elway and Into It. Over It. do conflict, though. Can’t win them all.
The Fest will run from Oct. 30 to Nov. 1. Tickets are still available in various packages, including single date and venue options.